The Lake District Calvert Trust supports around 4,000 disabled visitors each year staying at our 60 bed residential centre or accessible self-catering apartments.
The Centre Assistants will primarily work with the activities, catering and housekeeping teams to assist with the day to day running of the Calvert Lakes Centre just outside Keswick on the shores of Bassenthwaite Lake. Ensuring that our visitors feel welcome and valued, and that they enjoy the benefits of the outdoor activities we provide in an accessible and challenging environment will be a key role for our Centre Assistants.
This post is a fixed-term post for 6 months, with 25 of the 35 hours being funded through the Government Kickstarter scheme. This job cannot be fitted into a routine 9 – 5 day. It requires considerable flexibility, enthusiasm and dedication.
If required, catered accommodation may be available in the form of a private bedroom with shared facilities within staff quarters (must be minimum of 18yrs old). A Service Occupancy charge will apply – please enquire regarding availability if interested.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Liaising with centre guests to provide excellent customer service.
2. Complying with Centre standards, operating procedures and Health and Safety regulations.
3. Complete relevant qualifications or training required to comply with health and safety legislation or best practice.
4. Assisting activities instructors with delivery of high quality adventurous activities including sailing, canoeing, rock-climbing, orienteering, bushcraft and cycling.
5. Assisting with the cleaning and domestic duties around the centre including supporting housekeeping team with changeovers and cleaning of communal areas.
6. Shared domestic kitchen duties, for example: serving meals, running the dishwasher, kitchen washing up, and keeping the kitchen clean and hygienic.
Essential skills and requirements:
Minimum age 16 years. To have a friendly manner, a willingness to communicate with people and interest in working with people with disabilities.
Ability to work independently and as part of a team
35 hours. Average 5-day week including weekends and evenings.
Hourly rate of pay:
National Minimum Wage
Job placement location: